Tuesday, December 8

Easy Homemade Cream of Chicken :-)

So I am finally getting around to sharing some things with y'all that I've found - it has been a bit busy with traveling and all - and with a new cutie that thinks she is the energizer bunny and needs no sleep at all. *not quite, darling!* Her poor little dream world was shattered when I let her fuss herself to sleep yesterday - but I needed a break! :-) Thankfully, she slept much, much better last night - the several days of 15-30 min. of sleep at a time (yup, day & night) was a killer.

Anywho - I found this recipe for Condensed Chicken Soup (and yes, I do realize that the mushroom - yuck- is at the forefront in the above pic) at The Kitchn and decided to give it a try! {Original intent was to post it before Thanksgiving for you Green Bean Casserole makers.} I was pleasantly surprised! It is easy to make, cheaper than buying a can at the store, and I can make it with as much (or as little, which is my preference) salt as I want.

Here's the recipe for cream of chicken soup. To make cream of anything else, just substitute the broth for another type. For cream of mushroom, cook some mushrooms down in the butter, then add the flour and some cream. This recipe makes a little over a cup, equivalent to one can of soup. Enjoy!

3 tablespoons butter

3 tablespoons white flour

1/2 cup chicken stock
 (liquid)
1/2 cup milk
Salt and pepper

Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat then add the flour. Cook, stirring rapidly, until the mixture is thick. 

Add the chicken stock and whisk until smooth, then add the milk. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, until thickened. Remove from the heat and add salt and pepper to taste. 

This will keep for a couple days in the fridge, but it's best to use it the day you make it.

*note from Beth: I buy my chicken stock powdered concentrate from Whole Foods (from their bulk section). Very cheap and lasts awhile since I freeze it and just use what I need, reconstituting with water. :-)

*Here are some coupons for Campbell's, in case making your own isn't your thing - or there's a great sale! :-)




No comments: