Tuesday, February 16

Et Cetera


So then, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you may do, do all for the honor and glory of God.
- I Corinthians 10:31

 Lately I've been doing a lot of thinking about things I'd like to change or work on in the coming year - personal goals/ideas, money-saving goals/ideas, house decor goals/ideas, health goals/ideas, parenting goals/ideas, etc. Nighttime walks attempting to put Chloe back to sleep are great for that. :-) (That is when I'm not grumbling about how I could be sleeping... really need to work on that one...) I think goals are worthwhile to have, and if like me, you are a list maker... well, then they are just plain ol' fun to put down on paper. :-D 
So I have these goals on the one hand, and then on the other hand, God has been speaking to me in the context of the above verse and others like it about my MOTIVES behind why I want to do them. The why do I do the things the way I do or want to do. 

Basically being sure that they are for these reasons: 
*honoring God by taking the best care of the resources he has entrusted us with (ourselves, our finances, our apartment, my health/energy, time, etc.)
*honoring Dwight and his provision for the family by not going after a way of living that exceeds our budget, even if it is ~good~ things (i.e., organic is great and all, but if it causes us to spend more on groceries than we have or ought to, then for ME it would be wrong... etc.)
*honoring my primary role and responsibilities as wife and mother
*fun/ something I'd enjoy
*et cetera

and not for these reasons: 
*pride: thinking that what we otherwise have isn't good enough for us
*pride: so that others will think I'm really healthy, or frugal, or creative, or on and on this list could go... :-P
*comparision: so and so is doing this, or has this, or uses this... etc.
*discontent: not seeing the provision we already have as enough, and seeking more for selfish reasons
*et cetera (I love that word :-P)

So anyways, this is just inklings of my midnight/ mid-day thoughts. Anything that God has been speaking to you about?


No comments: